Thursday, July 13, 2006

Weak is the New Strong - Reflections From Rhett

If weak is the new strong (I see I'm not the only uber-fan of Rob Bell), does that mean that Jesus could still beat the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a fight?

Or would he fight at all? I think that would depend on whether we were talking about the Gospel Jesus or the Revelation Jesus.

... I hope I am not alone in pondering these things.

I really enjoyed this past Sunday night, even if I completely mis-timed inflicting my droll humour on people in between two completely serious items. (Maybe idiot is the new clever.)

I found the sermon encouraging, as well as challenging.

I felt challenged about the fact that I always like to be right. And when I'm right, that means everyone who doesn't think my way is wrong. A small part of the sermon seemed to hit upon this, and it made a big impact on me.

I've also been thinking about the tension between admitting our weakness and need for God, yet striving towards holiness. We dwell on our weakness, and our need for Christ's strength to help us, but at the same time we strive for purity of motives, better ethics and ultimately, Christ-likeness. It's an interesting juxtaposition.

What does 'weak is the new strong' mean to me?

Well, I don't need to be convinced of my sinfulness... unfortunately the evidence is clear enough. Where I often fall short however is having the humility to completely accept God's (and other people's) grace without excuses and explanations.

My aim is to tattoo that phrase on the walls of my mind, so the next time I'm tempted to rely on my own strength, I'll be reminded of the truth.

Oh, and don't worry, I'm not a heretic...

Jesus would so kick ass.

2 Comments:

Blogger lovemusicgood said...

Hey Rhett, don’t worry, being aheretic is cool.

11:14 AM  
Blogger M. Pease said...

Hi Rett;

About being "right"; it's one of my battles too. Jesus will help you overcome it, but in the meantime it might help you to realize that we do not live in a binary world, nor do we worship a binary God. There are many points of view from which truth can and does look different. Only our infinite Lord can see the whole of it. It may be possible that both you and someone else could be right.

While I'm nowhere near willing to say that anything goes, I'm a lot less likely to blow someone else off as simply wrong.

A about Jesus vs TMNT. They wouldn't be able to touch Him!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home