Monday, July 10, 2006

The Art of Being Ekkeisia - Reflections From Brett
BODY ART (BODY OF CHRIST
WHAT NOT TO WEAR (BRIDE OF CHRIST
CULTURAL ARCHITECTURE (TEMPLE OF LIVING STONES)
BLOGOS (LETTERS WRITTEN ON HUMAN FLESH)

The things that hit me personally from this series were:


For me there were 2 massive bombshells:

1. The first was from Melissa's message "What Not to Wear". The idea of the church's collective holiness fashion statement as being "tailor-made" rather than "off the rack" encourages me to push on with the dream of cessioncommunity. "life encountering truth as we reflect and offer Christ" sums up for me what this "made to measure" holiness will look like. I thought Melissa did a stunning job with this message, bringing wonderful originality and insight to the passage.

2. In week 3, I got to preach on Ephesians 2 - Cultural Architecture. The idea that we must build "in Christ" was one that nailed me. We can't build by simply leading the church better, organising the church better, working harder, smarter etc These things are important but if we don't do it "in Christ" we will not become who God designed us to be. Very liberating realisation.


I'm planning on making some commitments to my community as a result:

It reinforced to me the need for me to be "in Christ" as an individual. Simple but essential.

Other Random Thoughts!


I loved the imagery in this series. I think the BodyArt metaphor was my fave. I like the idea of Jesus being tattooed into my character. It will hurt, it doesn't wash off and the impact is impressive...and then I think of a tattooed church...it may still hurt at times but it has a permanence that is for the long haul and an allure that is down to God's presence.

Overall, this series shaped me in a way i didn't expect. Very good timing for me personally and i think for us as a church community looking to relocate our Sunday gathering...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home